These 2 questions must be answered fully in essay format
1. President Donald Trump is tweeting about the economy. One of his tweets reads, “America used to be great! We had Americans working in manufacturing, now it’s all in China! Sad!” Later on that night, he tweets again, “Poor people just want to sit on the couch and watch TV! Winners want to work hard!”
* Explain what theory of poverty is represented by President Trump’s first tweet (about manufacturing). How does this theory explain the existence of poverty in our society? How does this theory propose to solve poverty?
* What theory of poverty is represented by President Trump’s second tweet (about people who don’t want to work hard)? How does this theory explain the existence of poverty in our society? How does this theory propose to solve poverty?
* What theory of poverty is best supported by reading material in our class? Support your response with two pieces of evidence from our readings.
2. You and a friend go to McDonald’s for salads (weird). While you are there, an old man says, “You kids are so lucky today. When I was a kid in the 1950s, I never went to McDonald’s. Look at your fancy phone! Life was hard back then. Not like today. You have it easy. Anyone can be rich today!” Explain (nicely) why this old man’s point of view is incorrect:
* Explain what has happened to economic mobility over the last several decades. What has happened to the wealth gap over the last sixty years?
* Explain how more recent trends in deunionization, wages, income, taxes, and safety net programs have made it even harder for people to earn a decent living, let alone become millionaires
* For extra emphasis, tell them some important trends that particularly effect millennials (18-34 year olds)